Happy ATA Founder’s Month!
A Time to Celebrate Eternal Grand Master’s Giving Spirit
In October 2000, the Songahm family suffered a tremendous loss with the passing of our beloved founder, Eternal Grand Master H.U. Lee. What was once a somber time for ATA has since become a time where we come together to celebrate the life of Eternal Grand Master by doing something we all know he was passionate about—giving back!
Each and every day, there are thousands of ways you can change lives and make a difference. Whether you host a major fundraiser or simply listen to someone in need, it’s important to make time for kindness and generosity.
There are 31 days in October and, you know what Eternal Grand Master always said, “Today not possible. Tomorrow possible.” Here are 31 different ways you can do your part!
1. The Pink Belt Revolution is a wonderful, easy way to raise funding for, not just one, but TWO incredible causes! Hopefully your ATA school is joining the movement and trading those hard-earned Taekwondo belts for pink ones to benefit “Wishing for Mommy”— which grants wishes to moms with breast cancer and the H.U. Lee Scholarship Foundation— to help ATA students seeking higher education. Find out more at wishingformommy.org/pink-belts.
3. Perform an ATA demo at a local senior center.
4. Send a care package to a soldier. There are many resources available so find one and help out our military overseas.
5. Do a food drive! It’s a great way to clean out your pantry, but you can also make it a “favorite things” event where everyone brings their favorite non-perishable food item.
6. Pick up litter.
7. Volunteer to walk or groom animals at a local shelter.
8. Host a special seminar or Parents’ Night Out at your location and donate the proceeds to a non-profit like the H.U. Lee Foundation! It’s all for a good cause, so the more the merrier!
9. Cook a meal for a friend.
10. Hold the door for a stranger.
11. Rake or mow your neighbor’s lawn.
12. Read to younger children at your local library. You can also build a lawn library. These trendy “Take a book, share a book” cubbies are a great way to engage others in reading and education.
13. Send someone “just because” flowers.
14. Donate blood.
15. HI-YA! We all know we love to break boards. And, a Board Break-a-Thon is another terrific fundraising idea you can use to support the H.U. Lee Foundation this month or another charity of your choice. Want to make an impact? Go to www.huleefoundation.org for details.
16. Walk or run in a local charity 5K.
17. Have the kids go through their toy boxes to collect items for a local children’s group.
18. Bake treats or pack goodie bags for law enforcement or first responders.
19. Make cards for patients in hospitals.
20. Plant a tree with your city park’s group.
21. Call your mom… or anyone you love…and tell them thank you.
22. Have a yard sale and donate the proceeds to your local PTO.
23. Do some online shopping! Yes, your purchases through www.smile.amazon.com can be donated to the HU Lee Memorial Foundation!
24. Pay for the order of the person behind you in the drive-thru.
25. Help a classmate with his homework.
26. Volunteer to coach a little league sports team.
27. Donate concessions from your tournament to charity.
28. Have a birthday party where all of the gifts are stuffed animals for a local non-profit that helps children in crises.
29. Do extra chores around the house.
30. Smile at people and say, “hello.”
31. Invite a friend to an ATA class! By introducing others to ATA and the life skills taught through Songahm Taekwondo, you are leaving your legacy and teaching other about the giving spirit of Eternal Grand Master H.U. Lee!
Author: Jenny Wolff