Healthy Heart Tips
ATA Martial Arts Headquarters recently had a visit from a chef at the Arkansas Heart Hospital where we learned an abundance of helpful tips about the right way to achieve heart health. There are a lot of things you may not know or think about when you’re doing your grocery shopping and meal planning. Most of us were rather shocked to hear about all the things we were doing wrong when it came to what we put in our bodies. The seminar was so informative to us that we wanted to share what we learned with everyone else in hopes that the information may help some of you achieve a healthier heart as well!
- Stay around 1500mg of salt per day and always keep the milligrams of sodium you take in per day below your calorie count.
- Stay around 1400mg of potassium per day. You don’t want to have too much potassium in your diet because your body stores it as fat and it stays in your blood.
- Stay at or below 150g of cholesterol.
- NO saturated/trans fats!!!
- NO sea salt!!!
- When you’re venturing into the canned goods aisle in the grocery store, look for the green cans! Typically, they are the foods with no salt added. It may not taste as good but it is a healthier option!
- Check your blood pressure every so often to make sure it’s at 120/70 or below. If it’s higher, you should definitely consider changing your diet and consult a doctor.
- Want to eat less meat but worried about not getting enough protein? No worries! You will get plenty of protein by eating a plant-based breakfast and lunch with a lean meat for dinner.
- If you’ve had your gallbladder removed, you should really cut down on the meat you eat or cut it out altogether.
- Nuts are a great source of protein. However, if you are working on losing weight, you should keep nuts out of your diet until you get closer to your weight goals.
- Our bodies need 22-23 amino acids per day. Your body will produce 9 and you’ll need to get the rest through food.
- Honey is DELICIOUS, but you must stay away from it! We’ve all heard the health benefits honey has, such as its antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. However, it’s still sugar. You would also have to consume a lot of honey to receive all those benefits.
- Want to treat yourself with some pancakes every so often? Do it! Just use a blended fruit sauce (with no added sugar) as the topping instead of syrup.
- 80% of your immune system is based in your intestines. That’s a huge reason to make healthy food choices!
- A ton of us love our diet soft drinks. You may even think they’re healthier for you than regular soft drinks. The truth is, they’re not any better for you because they can increase your risk of a stroke or heart attack.
- If you want to have a healthier diet but have a hard time staying away from sweets, try sweeteners like Monkfruit or Organic Stevia because they don’t enter the bloodstream.
These tips aren’t incredibly in-depth so we recommend that you all dig deeper and expand your knowledge with these articles from the Arkansas Heart Hospital:
Author: McKenna Stephens